In my house, orange sweet potatoes are a staple food, partly because I have a toddler and that is her favorite food, and partly because I like to eat them myself. In the grocery store, these orange veggies are actually labelled as yams, but I think they are actually really sweet potatoes. I know there is a difference between the two, but I have heard that the grocery stores label them differently anyway. The outrage! I think yams are actually purple or white, so basically I have been lied to my entire life!
Anyway, since we eat these all the time at our house, I am always trying to find different ways to cook them. This recipe is a creation of my own based on what my own intuition and what I thought would taste good in a sweet potato fry, but I am sure there are hundreds of recipes that are almost exactly the same. You could actually add a lot of different spices and ingredients to appeal to your own tastes, but these are the flavors I chose; feel free to get more creative and share some fresh ideas with us!
As for the avocado dip, I did not have sour cream on hand when I whipped it up, but I imagine that it would be a delicious addition. I am in love with the creamy texture of avocados, especially paired with the lime, garlic and tapatio flavors to add a little zest. If you are not a fan of avocados, you could also try mixing together a bit of mayo and barbecue sauce, or some mayo and sriracha. All of these options are equally delectable dips for these tasty sweet potato fries!
- Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes/yams
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 3 Tbs olive oil (or enough to lightly coat sweet potato or yam slices)
- Avocado Dip
- 1 to 2 ripe avocados
- Freshly squeezed lime juice from ½ lime
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- A few drops of tapatio hot sauce
- A few dollops of sour cream (optional)
- Sweet Potato Fries: Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash sweet potatoes and dry thoroughly. Either peel them or leave the skin, depending on personal preference. Cut into similar sized strips.
- Sprinkle onion powder, chili powder, salt and pepper over strips in a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil and toss until evenly coated.
- Place seasoned strips onto a baking sheet and spread out evenly. Do not pour the extra oil in the bowl over the strips, as this will make the fries mushy and not crisp. Strips should not be sitting in a pool of oil.
- Bake for 20 mins, tossing halfway through baking. Serve warm with avocado dip or favorite dipping sauce.
- Avocado Dip: Mash ripe avocados or process in food processor.
- Add lime juice, garlic powder, tapatio hot sauce, and sour cream (optional). Mix well.
Do you have a favorite way to cook sweet potatoes? Do you have a favorite fry sauce or dip? Share it with us!