If you are anything like me and tend to wait until the last minute to decide what to bring to your 4th of July picnic, consider your decision made! Whip up a festive and delicious dessert that is sure to be a hit. Don’t be fooled, my strawberry pretzel “salad” resembles a salad in no way; in fact, I have no idea why it is part of the title at all. A perfect dessert for the 4th of July or any summer barbecue, this “salad” combines the sweet, tart flavors of strawberries and strawberry jello, a smooth, creamy filling, and a salty pretzel crust to add a satisfying crunch. It might sound like an unusual fusion of ingredients, but I think you will find that it disappears before the fireworks have even begun.
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 3 Tbs white granulated sugar
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- About 2 cups homemade whipped cream- follow link below! (Or 8 oz. Cool Whip in a pinch)
- 6 oz package strawberry flavored Jello mix
- 2 cups boiling water
- 16 - 20 oz frozen strawberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Crush pretzels in a large Ziploc bag with a rolling pin. Mix crushed pretzels, melted butter, and 3 tablespoons sugar until evenly combined. Press evenly into the bottom of a 9x13 inch oven-safe baking pan.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until set. Leave in dish and cool on rack.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup sugar and cream cheese.
- Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture and spread onto cooled pretzel crust.
- Dissolve Jello mix in boiling water, and stir in frozen strawberries. Let the mixture set briefly, and once it is close to the consistency of egg whites, pour on top of cream cheese layer.
- Refrigerate until everything is set.
Here is the link to my Perfect Homemade Whipped Cream– it’s is only a little bit of extra work, but it is totally worth it. All you need is 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 2 Tbs. sugar, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Beat in an electric mixer, and done!
God bless America, where you can mix pretzels with butter and put cream cheese and jello on top and call it a salad! This country is great! Also because of the Declaration of Independence and the pursuit of happiness and all that, of course…
Have a safe, fun, and delicious 4th of July! Try out this recipe and let me know how it goes in the comments, on Facebook, or in an email! We would love to hear from you!