Hi friends, guess what!
It’s Food Friday!!! Get excited.
Today I am sharing my new favorite vegetable side dish with you. You all know how much I love Brussels Sprouts because of THIS post, and you know how much I love yams from THIS post, so why not put them together into a tasty new combination? I make this probably once a week, and it is so delicious- the yams give it a sweet, creamy flavor, and the slightly crispy, perfectly browned sprouts are a perfect compliment. This is actually my own original concoction, although I am sure it has probably been done before- but this recipe is a testament to the beautiful (and yummy) results that can come from simply using what you have lying around. One day I had all these ingredients in my fridge, so I decided to toss them together and voila! My new favorite creation is delectable and simple to make (and healthy too!).
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
- 1 or 2 orange yams
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 2 to 3 cups of kale
- 2 to 3 Tbs olive oil
- Season to taste with garlic powder (or fresh pressed garlic), onion powder, salt and pepper
- Wash, peel, and dice yams.
- Wash sprouts, chop off stems, cut into half the long way.
- Combine yams and sprouts in skillet or pan on the stove. Add seasonings and olive oil. Toss until vegetables are lightly coated.
- Sautee uncovered for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Cover and let vegetables steam for about 8 minutes, or until they are soft enough to easily cut through with a fork. If vegetables seem too dry, add another drizzle of olive oil or a tablespoon of water.
- Wash kale, cut off the tough stems, and chop loosely. Add kale to skillet after the yams and sprouts have become soft. Cover and lower heat a little to wilt the kale for about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm alongside any entree!
As you can imagine, it is easy to cook this dish for any number of people- just use more or less of all the ingredients! I make this for holidays and family gatherings, but also just for regular dinner at home. Delicious!
That’s all I have for today, enjoy your weekend everyone! Show us some love in the comment section or ask us a question on Facebook, and follow us on Instagram to see what we’re up to! We love to hear from you!